Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Geometrics are In!


Over the last few months, I've seen lots of geometric patterns in decorating magazines. Apparently, designers have discovered that geometrics are IN.


And now geometrics are showing up everywhere: clothes, purses, fabrics, tiles (above), rugs, dishes, wallpaper, coasters (left), and anything else you can think of.

Well. This isn't exactly big news to us, is it?

Embroiderers have known about the power of geometric patterns for centuries. ...and have been quietly incorporating geometrics in their work for all of those years, all the way back to the beginning of recorded history - and to the beginning of embroidery.

And I'm willing to bet all of us stitchers have many books in our reference libraries that have hundreds of geometric patterns in them - whether they be patterns for cross-stitch, needlepoint, hardanger, blackwork, crewel, beading, lace-making, knitting or any of the dozens of embroidery skills we embrace and consider part of our handcrafting traditions.

But what I find so fascinating about seeing geometric patterns popping up everywhere NOW is how we - as stitchers - can utilize these patterns. What a great resource for inspiring us to stitch!

So, let's get trendy and stitch up some of these patterns that are appearing in popular magazines.... Pick up your needle and thread, and start stitching...

LET'S GET GEOMETRIC!

2 comments:

Liana said...

Hello Laura,
For the first time here, I really enjoy your work...and I love the ideea of doing geometrics. From now on it's a must...:-). Your header of the blog it's beautiful, can I see somewhere the whole piece? Thank you for sharing with us your work.
Liana

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Great blog you have - I found you via Pat. I have loved geometrics since I started designing in 1968 - Surprisingly, I had a great response to my Diaper Pattern article in NN last winter, and still move quite a few patterns. I love the picture on this blog. Caning was the first diaper pattern I did - waaaay back in the 70's.