Friday, July 19, 2013

Friday Flowers

What flowers have you got growing in your garden this summer?  It's hard for me to get excited about planting flowers when the temperatures get into the 100s and the dirt is hard and dry as cement, but when it cools down a bit, I start craving new flowers to perk up the tired old flowerbeds.

This week I bought a few giant zinnas to add to my patio pots.  And a few petunias as well.  I needed something that LIKES the heat, right?



I got some purple and yellow petunias as well, and not until I got home did I read that these are considered LIME petunias.  Who knew there was such a thing?!? (I sure didn't, but I really like 'em...)


I also went looking for Portulaca, one of my favorite hot summer flowers, to replace the pansies I planted last fall that finally withered away in our scotching hotspell.  Portulaca has such bright happy colors, and with their succulent leaves seem to have a much better time surviving the hot weather once they get established:



And then I found THIS one -- a speckley, stripey geranium and well, I just couldn't resist getting it too:


Soooo.... guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

Happy Friday, Fellow Stitchers and I hope you enjoy your summertime weekend!

3 comments:

zenuwpees said...

Magnifique fleurs bonne journee Marie-Claire

Laura said...

Merci beaucoup, Marie-Claire!

Our photos said...

Beautiful photos!